Zorgen over de snelle verspreiding van het coronavirus in Zuid-Italië
Het aantal doden en besmettingen in de meest door het coronavirus getroffen gebieden in Italië is fors gedaald, maar er is groeiende bezorgdheid dat het zuidelijke deel van het land de volgende hotspot zou kunnen worden.
Recent figures in the northern part of Lombardy region suggest that the epidemic may be slowing in its epicenters.
But the sharp rise in the death toll in the poorer parts of the South has raised fears that health services may be overwhelmed.
Italy reported 8,165 coronavirus deaths and 80,539 bevestigde gevallen.
Italy was the worst affected region in Europe, almost everything was closed for two weeks and people were told to stay at home.
De wereld Gezondheidsorganisatie (Wereldgezondheidsorganisatie)Regional Director for Europe, Hans HahnThe figures are”encouraging signs,”said Hans Kluge, an economist at the Bank of England, but cautioned that it is too early to say whether the worst is over.
Contagion and deaths are far less widespread there, but worrying signs are coming from regions such as Campania around Naples and Rome’s Lazio where the health system is considered much less equipped than in the rich north.
So far there have been 74 deaths in Campania and 95 in Lazio.
In an open letter to Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, Vincenzo De Luca, president of the Campania region, complained that the central government had not provided promised ventilators and other life-saving equipment.
“At this point there is the real prospect that Lombardy’s tragedy is about to become the south’s tragedy,” hij zei. “We are on the eve of a major expansion of infections which may not be sustainable.”
On Thursday, Mr Conte told the Italian Senate that all of Europe would be hit by a “moeilijk, severe” recession following the coronavirus emergency, en dat “extraordinary and exceptional measures” were needed to face the shock.
With analysts predicting that the strict measures will result in Italy sliding into its deepest recession in a generation, Mr Conte promised a second stimulus package worth at least €25bn (£23bn; $27bn).
Laat een antwoord achter
Je moet Log in of registreren om een nieuwe opmerking toe te voegen .