Weak government and accountability ” a major challenge affecting education in Cameroon
The primary objective of the current plan, “Document de Stratégie du Secteur de l’Education et de la Formation 2013-2020” is the achievement of quality universal primary education. This objective aligns with the national strategy for growth and employment goal of providing the production system with human capital capable of supporting economic growth. The document identifies the major challenges facing education in Cameroon as poor quality, weak governance and accountability across the system leading to the inequitable and inefficient distribution of resources, and persistent disparities related to gender, region of residence and income.
In order to tackle these issues the plan focuses on access and equity, quality and relevance, and sector governance and management. General and specific objectives as well as targeted interventions are outlined for each “strategic axis”.
- Access and Equity
Improve access and equity at all levels of education. More specifically:
- Increase preschool enrollment to 40% nationwide
- Increase access by reducing disparities of all kinds in primary and secondary education
- Expand basic education to include lower secondary school
- Diversify and increase vocational training options
- Strengthen higher education with a focus on professional preparedness, science, and technology
- Promote literacy among children and adults
- Develop nationwide building and infrastructure standards
- Quality and Relevance
Improve the quality of learning paying particular attention to the socio-economic environment:
- Improve the quality of learning in primary and secondary school through interventions such as curriculum reform, distribution of learning and teaching materials, and literacy programs,
- Adapt training and teaching to the socio-economic environment focusing on achieving a well-educated human resources base in support of the country’s industrialization efforts,
- Promote research and development of education practices within the sector,
- Promote health in schools, universities, and vocational training efforts.
- Governance and Management
Improve the governance and management of the education sector focusing on decentralization:
- Maintain current regulation mechanisms until new ones are developed following the establishment of basic education,
- Reinforce decentralization of education sector, delegating to local authorities,
- Improve human resource management,
- Improve teaching conditions and encourage efficient career management,
- Reinforce sector planning capacity,
- Increase transparency of resource management.
Source: Plan sectoriel de l’éducation (2013-2020). Cameroun
Leave a reply
You must login or register to add a new comment .